Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Day One as CEO


DAY ONE


Today is my first day as the head of my own company, and I think I am in shock that I actually did it. Even though I have dreamed of having my own business for years, this change from employee to self-employed is significant. I am quickly realizing that my entire mindset must change.   I have second-guessed my decision about a million times today, and I have taken a lot of deep breaths as means to calm my nerves.

Lesson #1:  Change can be stressful.  Be kind to yourself. 

I woke up early this morning without an alarm clock which is really quite amazing given that I am not much of a morning person.  I took a shower and drank a cup of coffee.  I tried to watch the news, but then I turned it off after about five minutes.  I turned on my computer, and stared at it for a minute.  Then, I got up from the computer to make the bed, clean the house and eventually get an oil change.   

Lesson #1:  Establish a routine and set daily goals.

The oil change turned out to an all-day affair.  Generally speaking, I have had no issues with my vehicle.  However, today I was told that I needed new tires.  Gulp.  My first day without a regular paycheck, and now I need new tires. 

Lesson #2:  Expect the unexpected.

As I left the repair shop, my tire sensor went off, so I turned around.  The repair shop mechanic took a closer look at my tires and air pressure.  Again, I was given the all-clear to go, and just before reaching my next destination, the tire sensor went off again.  So, back to the repair shop I went, and this time they discovered the issue was a result of a software malfunction.  The mechanic pulled out his laptop, connected it to my vehicle and within a few keystrokes, my vehicle was good to go.

Lesson #3:  Have patience.

I finally made it home to write this post.  As soon as I am finished here, I will be setting my goals for tomorrow, and yes, I will establish my new routine.  

If you are an entrepreneur or solopreneur or simply self-employed, I would love to hear from you.  I would appreciate hearing about your routines, rituals or any helpful advice for that matter.  

Until next time....

 




No comments:

Post a Comment